Friday 2 May 2014

FYP 2 Week 10-12: Develop a fingerprint login system

Aim:
  • To match and retrieve a fingerprint template from a database
  • To save and retrieve a time log from the database.
  • To develop a login system using fingerprint template.


Activities Discussion:


As we already know, everyone have their own fingerprint. Fingerprint has it unique characteristic because there is no people have a same fingerprint template. On the duration, I try to use a fingerprint template as a password. I have to identify what type of data for a fingerprint template that I must save in SQL database.  Basically, for my project, I store the fingerprint along with employee data profile. I made a little bit modification from a previous registration. As shown in figure 1 and 2, it is the registration form to register or remove an employee. This registration only can access by authorized admin.

Figure 1

Figure 2












For the fingerprint image, Digital Persona provides a SDK that allow me to integrated fingerprint biometric into my VB.net application. This tool enables me to perform basic fingerprint operations such as capturing a fingerprint from scanner, extracting the distinctive features from the captured fingerprint sample and storing the resulting data in a template. At the beginning to perform this basic operation, there is several error displays on my application shown in the figure 3 below. 
Figure 3


I had been stuck in this situation for quite long period of time. After searching this kind of error on stackflow.com, I managed to solve it. It is because my application must include the several function of the device in the reference. 
Figure 4

By understand the SQL server works, the constructing of time log database have been easy. In figure 6, it shown the access system for employee after the fingerprint granted (figure 5); fingerprint template is match with the employee database.

Figure 5


Basically, on the access system, I just designed a simple layout and also time access.By retrieve the employee data from the employee’s database, it will display all the information on the application window.



The time access is store in another database that I created which the RegLog database is shown in the figure below. So, every time employee enters the access system, it will record the time entry and save it on this database.




Conclusion:
  • It is important to understand SQL server principle and functionality first when constructing a SQL database.In other word, you  must understand how it works before you build something.
  • Digital Persona SDK provides me a helpful hand for developing this application by interfacing the fingerprint device with VB.net programming.

  • At the end of week 12, all objective have been successful achieved I managed to run the application smoothly after solving a several error. I also modify the system according to my supervisor advice. 

1 comment: